I hear you and I agree… It’s time for change in our City. We’ve got to invest in people over property, and restore pride in our neighborhoods. Together we can change the course we’re on and give ALL people of Wilmington the opportunity to succeed.
Velda's Vision for Wilmington
I will focus my diverse career background in finance, engineering and public service to ensure continuity and quality of essential services while organizing public resources into focused Neighborhood and Human Development dedicated to the following:
Click the icons below to support the campaign!
A history of ‘firsts’ in science, business and government in Delaware - the first state.
- The first woman and African-American to hold the office of City Treasurer in Wilmington, DE in 2017. As city treasurer, Velda:
- Produced over $20 million in savings for taxpayers
- Infused an additional $4 million into the local economy through pension benefits
- Educated over 600 children in financial literacy through the Smart Savers program
- The first African-American in Delaware history to hold statewide elective office when appointed State Treasurer in 2009.
- The first African-American woman at University of Delaware to earn an engineering degree.